Essential questions help organize the content of these collections. Exploring the concept of colonization through this collection of photographs, students are invited to consider the following questions:
- How did European countries justify colonialism?
- What were the main interests of the colonists?
- How did photographs help to justify or undermine the message or policies of colonialism?
- How did photographs help to shape perceptions of these regions?
- What are some of the conditions that led to nationalist movements?
- How does colonialism conflict with nationalism?
- What different ways of resisting colonialism did people devise?
- How did photographers define the resisters and the colonizers?