Life Science: Brassica & Butterfly System
- One copy machine paper box (approximately 17" x 12")
- One dessert size plastic plate (to suspend light source)
- One Gro-lite (light source)
- One light socket with extension cord (to connect light source to power)
- Nylon mesh (for ventilation windows and front screen)
- Heavy duty aluminum foil (to line box and make the front panel)
- Velcro strips or tabs (to secure front panel to box)
- Small binder clips (to secure front screen to box)
- Utility knife
- Household glue
- Duct tape
- Cut 5 X 20 cm windows in the sides and back of the box near the top center.
- Cover the windows with nylon mesh using duct tape to secure.
- Line the box with shiny side of the aluminum foil facing in using a glue stick to secure it.
- Cut a hole in the top center of the box large enough to insert the base of the light.
- Cut a hole of the same size in the center of the plastic plate and trim the raised edges to make a flat disk.
- Place the disk on top of the box, over the light socket hole.
- Insert the light from inside of the box through the hole and the disk.
- Secure the light to the light socket and plug in the extension cord.
Front panel: (Will be used when growing plants in Light House)
- Measure the side and top (length and width) dimensions of the box. Add 5 cm to the side measurement (for folding over top of box).
- Cut the aluminum foil panel to the above measurements.
- Fold the duct tape over each edge of the panel to add strength.
- Secure three pieces of one side of the Velcro strip to the top edge of the panel.
- Secure three pieces of the other side of the Velcro strip to the top outer edge of the box (match placement with the strips on the panel).
- Suspend the panel by folding the top edge over the top of the box so it is attached with Velcro.
Front screen: (will be used when housing butterflies in Light House)
- Cut the screen using the same measurements for the front panel (above).
- Use binder clips to secure the front screen to the Light House.
|prev: bottle system|