Life Science: Brassica & Butterfly System
How Sweet It Is
Adult Pieris feed upon the nectar of Brassica plants. Nectar is sweet, but is it possible that varying levels of sweetness might have an impact on Pieris feeding?
- Place the film can sugar feeders, prepared as described, into a Light House containing adult Pieris butterflies.
- Observe the feeding behavior of the butterflies.
- For each feeder, keep track of how many butterflies feed during a specific time period.
- Keep track of how long the butterflies spend feeding at each Feeder.
- Leave the Feeders in the Light House for a 48-hour period. At the end of this period, compare how much sugar solution is left in each.
- How did the butterflies behave when introduced to the Feeders?
- How would you describe the way that the butterflies “tasted” each solution.
- Which solutions, if any, were preferred by Pieris? What’s your evidence?
SHARE YOUR RESULTS: How Sweet It Is
|prev: the salad bar|