Life Science: Brassica & Butterfly System
- One 16 oz plastic deli container with lid (will support 10-15 larvae)
- Five heavy duty toothpicks (for skewering the Brussels sprouts)
- One paper towel (for the bottom of the container)
- One nail poke, push pin, or soldering iron (for poking holes)
For Stocking and Maintaining
- Five Brussels sprouts with top leaf removed
- Extra paper towels
Building, Stocking, and Maintenance Instructions
- Poke five holes for toothpicks at “N, E, S, W” and center locations on the deli container lid.
- Poke small air holes in several areas elsewhere on the lid.
- Skewer the Brussels sprouts with the toothpicks.
- Insert toothpicks through the bottom side of the lid.
- Layer the bottom of the container with paper towel.
- Place the lid with the Brussels sprouts on top of the deli container.
- Add 2-3 larvae from the Brassica nursery to each Brussels sprout. (about Day 10)
- Keep Brussels sprouts free of “frass” (larval droppings).
- Remove and replace the paper towel every couple of days.
|prev: brassica nursery|