Footnotes for Unit 6 - Risk, Exposure, and Health
- Waltraud Eder, Markus J. Ege, and Erika von Mutius, "The Asthma Epidemic,"
New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355 (2006), pp. 2226–2235.
- Jonathan I. Levy et al., "A Community-Based Participatory Research Study of Multifaceted In-Home Environmental Interventions
for Pediatric Asthmatics in Public Housing,"
Social Science & Medicine, vol. 63 (2006), pp. 2191–2203.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics, "New Chemicals and Existing Chemicals,"
- Society for Risk Analysis, "Principles for Risk Analysis,"
RISK newsletter, Third Quarter 2001.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, William K. Reilly oral history interview,
- National Research Council,
Risk Assessment in the Federal Government: Managing the Process (National Academy Press, 1983).
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Guidelines for Exposure Assessment, FRL-4129-5, 1992, pp. 16–17,
- EPA, Guidelines for Exposure Assessment, FRL-4129-5, 1992, p. 126,
- University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Epidemiology, "Broad Street Pump Outbreak,"
- Austin Bradford Hill, "The Environment and Disease: Association or Causation?"
Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 58 (1965), pp. 295–300, www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/hill.
- National Institutes of Health,
Cancer and the Environment, NIH Publication No. 03-2039 (Washington, DC, August 2003), p. 1.
Cancer and the Environment, pp. 7–8.
- Nancy Nelson, "The Majority of Cancers Are Linked to the Environment,"
BenchMarks, National Cancer Institute, June 17, 2004,
http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/benchmarks-vol4-issue3; Mayo Clinic, "Carcinogens In the Environment: A Major Cause of Cancer?" May 24, 2006.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 2, "EPA Risk Assessments Confirm Exposure to PCBs in River May Increase Cancer
Risk, Other Non-Cancer Health Hazards and Threaten Fish and Wildlife," press release, August 4, 1999.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Technology Transfer Network, Air Toxics Website, "Risk Assessment for Carcinogens,"
- Pamela R.D. Williams and Dennis J. Paustenbach, "Risk Characterization," in Dennis J. Paustenbach, ed.,
Human and Ecological Risk Assessment: Theory and Practice (New York: Wiley, 2002), p. 325.
- John D. Graham, Director, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget, "Valuing Health:
An OMB Perspective," remarks, February 13, 2003,
- W. Kip Viscusi and Joseph E. Aldy, "The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 27, No. 1 (2003), pp. 5–76.
top of page