A Nation Divided
- Unit Reference Materials
- Andrews, Eliza Frances. The War-Time Journal of a Georgia Girl 1864-1865. New York,
D. Appleton Co., 1908.
- Mobley, Joe A., ed. The Papers of Zebulon Baird Vance: Volume 2, 1963. Raleigh:
State Department and Archives, 1963.
- Nash, Gary B. and others, eds. The American People: Creating a Nation and a
Society, 6th ed. New York: Pearson Education Inc., 2004. Reprinted by permission
of Pearson Education, Inc.
- Rhodes, Robert Hunt. All For The Union. New York: Vintage Civil War Library,
Vintage Books, 1992.
- Wiley, Bell Irvin. The Life of Johnny Reb. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University
- Wood, Peter H. and others. Created Equal: A Social and Political History of the United
States. New York: Pearson Education Inc., 2003. Reprinted by permission of
Pearson Education, Inc.
- Further Reading
- Beyer, W. F. and O. F. Keydel, eds. Deeds of Valor: How America's Civil War Heroes
Won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
- Bordewich, Fergus M. "What Price of Glory?" Smithsonian, July 2005.
- Duncan, Russell, ed. Blue-Eyed Child of Fortune: The Civil War Letters of Colonel
Robert Gould Shaw.
- Emilio, Luis. A Brave Black Regiment: The History of the 54th Massachusetts, 1863-1865.
- Gopnik, Adam. "A Critic at Large," The New Yorker, October 31, 2005.
- Horowitz, Tony. Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War.
- Johnston, Frontis W., ed. The Papers of Zebulon Baird Vance: Volume 1, 1842–1862.
- Massey, Mary Elizabeth. Ersatz in the Confederacy: Shortages and Substitutes on the
- Pember, Phoebe Yates. A Southern Woman's Story
- Smith, Eric Ledell. "Painted with Pride in the U.S.A.," Pennsylvania Heritage,
- Wiley, Bell Irvin. The Life of Billy Yank.
- National Center for History in the Schools Teaching Units
Please note: Theis lesson may not be resold or redistributed.
- Abraham Lincoln and Slavery (PDF)
© Annenberg Foundation 2014. All rights reserved. Legal Policy