A Growing Global Power
- Unit Reference Materials
- Brandes, Stuart D. Warhogs: A History of War Profits in America. Lexington: The
University Press of Kentucky, 1997.
Monroy, Douglas. Rebirth: Mexican Los Angeles from the Great Migration to the Great
Depression. Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1999.
Nash, Gary B., Julie Roy Jeffrey, John R. Howe. Peter J. Frederick, and Allan M.
Winkler. The American People: Creating a Nation and a Society, 6th ed. New York:
Pearson Education Inc., 2004. Reprinted by permission of Pearson Education, Inc.
Silva, Noenoe K. Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American
Colonialism. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2004.
Wood, Peter, Jacqueline Jones, Thomas Borstelmann, Elaine Tyler May, and Vicki
Ruiz. Created Equal: A Social and Political History of the United States. New York:
Pearson Education Inc., 2003. Reprinted by permission of Pearson Education, Inc.
- Further Reading
- Lens, Sidney. The Forging of the American Empire: From the Revolution to Vietnam:
A History of American Imperialism (Human Security). London: Pluto Press, 2003.
Loewen, James. Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook
Got Wrong. New York: The New Press, 1995.
Samuels, Peggy, and Harold Samuels. Remembering the Maine. Washington and
London: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1995.
- National Center for History in the Schools Teaching Units
Please note: These lessons may not be resold or redistributed.
- World's Fairs and the Dawning of the "American Century" (PDF)
- The Philippine-American War (PDF)
- Organization of American Historians: Talking History Radio Program
- The Charge Up San Juan Hill: a talk with Mathew Oyos
22 June 1998 air date
Listen Now: Real Audio 14.4
This program also features a commentary by Frank Schubert, historian of the Pentagon's Joint Chiefs of Staff, who discusses who deserves credit for the 1898 victory.
© Annenberg Foundation 2015. All rights reserved. Legal Policy