- Unit Reference Materials
- Elshtain, Jean Bethke. Jane Addams and the Dream of American Democracy: A Life.
New York: Basic Books, 2002.
Goddard, Henry Herbert. The Kallikak Family. 1912. Reprint, New York: Arno Press,
Moore, Jacqueline M. Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. Du Bois, and the Struggle for
Racial Uplift. Wilmington, DE: SR Books, 2003.
Nash, Gary B., Julie Roy Jeffrey, John R. Howe. Peter J. Frederick, and Allan M.
Winkler. The American People: Creating a Nation and a Society, 6th ed. New York:
Pearson Education Inc., 2004. Reprinted by permission of Pearson Education, Inc.
Wood, Peter, Jacqueline Jones, Thomas Borstelmann, Elaine Tyler May, and Vicki
Ruiz. Created Equal: A Social and Political History of the United States. New York:
Pearson Education Inc., 2003. Reprinted by permission of Pearson Education, Inc.
- Further Reading
- Bailey, Beth. From Front Porch to Back Seat: Courtship in Twentieth-Century
America. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1988.
Banner, Lois W. American Beauty. New York: Knopf: Distributed by Random House,
Gerstle, Gary. American Crucible: Race and Nation in the Twentieth Century.
Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2001.
Loewen, James. Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History
Textbook Got Wrong. New York: The New Press, 1995.
- National Center for History in the Schools Teaching Units
Please note: These lessons may not be resold or redistributed.
- Women in the Progressive Era (PDF)
- The Constitution in Crisis: The Red Scare of 1919-1920 (PDF)
- With Speech as My Weapon: Emma Goldman and the First Amendment (PDF)
- Organization of American Historians: Talking History Radio Program
- History of Child Labor in the United States: a talk with Kristi Lindenmyer
7 September 1998 air date
Listen Now: Real Audio 14.4
This program also features a commentary by David Larson, Creighton University labor law professor, on why Labor Day should be celebrated.
© Annenberg Foundation 2016. All rights reserved. Legal Policy